The Animal Science program at Dawson Community College prepares students for successful careers and a lifetime of informed choices in the global agriculture, with a focus on animal science, food, fiber, and natural resource industries.
The plan of study will:
- Build a strong knowledge base regarding the role of livestock in agriculture, including basic concepts and principles of animal nutrition, growth, health, behavior, reproduction, and genetics.
- Provide an introduction to commercial applications, including ration formulation, disease, prevention, AI, genetic selection and crossbreeding systems, and agriculture business and technology.
- Give the student the opportunity to demonstrate knowledge, skills, attitudes, and practical experiences for entry-level employment or self-employment in the agricultural industry segments.
- Serve those students seeking a career in Agriculture and/or planning to pursue an education beyond the associate’s level.
- Expose students to courses in computation, communications, and human relations, and will assist students in developing an understanding and appreciation for diversity, social responsibility and the participation in public affairs.
- Provide students with opportunities for practical experience in the Agriculture system via internships, fieldwork, and skills-based course offerings.
- Assist students in the development of critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and the ability to conceptualize ideas.