The Dawson Community College 3rd Annual Cardboard Boat Regatta was held on Saturday, August 25. This event was made possible through the generosity and hard work of a number of sponsors and volunteers.
The Hollecker Lake Champion Cup was awarded to The Knotty Hog, captained by Glynis Johnson with crew member Dean Oellerman. Johnson is a student in DCC’s Corrosion Technology program. The Knotty Hog’s captain and crew were awarded the Hollecker Lake Champion Cup and a cash prize of $300 provided by race sponsor American Ford.
Captain David Brost, with crew members Connor Brost and Caimbrie Brost, travelled from Great Falls to race their craft, Watermelon Splash. The trio ended up winning the Soggy Bottom Battle Trophy and were awarded a cash prize of $200 provided by race sponsor HUB International Insurance.
Members of the DCC baseball team built and raced It, captained by Anthony Gail. It survived to the end of the Regatta thanks to its illegal outer plastic wrapping. This building violation won It’s captain and builders the Cheaters Chalice and a carton of Reynold’s fried chicken, as they were too “chicken” to follow the rules.
Awards were given in a number of other categories. Each winning team received a trophy and cash prize.
- People’s Choice: Future Farmer; Builders: DCC FFA; Crew: Cade Bare, Timothy Kamerman
- People’s Choice – Youth: SS Kids; Builders and Crew: Xavier Speed, Emma Hynes, Dillon Hynes
- Most Attractive Boat: Future Farmer; Builders: DCC FFA; Crew: Cade Bare, Timothy Kamerman
- Most Creative Boat Theme: Buc the Duck; Builders: DCC Women’s Basketball; Crew: Maddie Carmen, Tasia Moore
- Best Pirate Ship: The VikQueen; Builder: Tammy Reed; Crew: Tami Johnson, Traci Masau
- Most Spectacular Sinking: Buc the Duck; Builders: DCC Women’s Basketball; Crew: Maddie Carmen, Tasia Moore
- Surviving Longest with a Youth on Board: Watermelon Splash; Builders and Crew: David Brost, Connor Brost, Caimbrie Brost
- Most Enthusiastic Team: The Joe Mobile; Builders: DCC Men’s Basketball; Crew: CJ Nelson, Camron Dunree
- Best Dressed Team: The Joe Mobile; Builders: DCC Men’s Basketball; Crew: CJ Nelson, Camron Dunree
- Best Hair: Tasia Moore – cash prize donated by Autumn Dempewolf of Tangles Salon
Other participating teams included:
- Up; Builders: DCC Volleyball; Crew: Erin Campbell, Kylee Stump
- Buc Magic; Builders: DCC Softball; Crew: Jordyn O’Neal, Trinity Anderson
- NuNu Canoenu; Builders: DCC Softball; Crew: Alexa Kappel, April Davis
The 3rd Annual Buccaneer Regatta wouldn’t be possible without sponsors American Ford and HUB International Insurance; the Dawson College Foundation, who generously provided lunch; volunteer boat inspectors and officials Ray Glueckert and Gary Carlson, assisted by Judy Carlson; announcer Jack Rice; Dawson County Search and Rescue; Dawson County Public Works, who allow use of and beautifully maintain Hollecker Lake; West Glendive Fire Chief Richie Crisafulli for helping prepare the facility; Glendive Broadcasting for helping cover the event; Glendive Coca-Cola, who donated refreshments; Chris Ingram, DCC Welding instructor, for creating the top three trophies; the DCC Campus Store and Buc’s Brew for providing door prizes; President Mickelsen and family for providing extra support in their canoe in the lake and providing ice cream; and the DCC faculty, staff, and administration who volunteered their time for the event.
Visit www.facebook.com/DCCBuccaneers to see more photos of the event!