POSITION TITLE: Instructor – Physics and Mathematics/Statistics
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
STATUS: Full time, tenure track faculty
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs
SUMMARY OF WORK:
Dawson Community College invites qualified candidates to apply for a full time, tenure track faculty position within our Transfer Department. This full time faculty position is responsible for instructing physics and statistics courses, and collaboration within the Mathematics Departments to instruct math based courses. Instructional faculty have the important responsibility of creating an innovative learning environment both inside and outside the classroom to inspire success and excellence in student learning.
This full time faculty is responsible for collaboration within our transfer program for program development and improvement, student recruitment, dual enrollment and articulation. This person demonstrates the academic and professional qualifications and relevant experience in education required for providing effective leadership for the program and students in both transfer and career and technical tracks. This candidate must have the ability to teach physics and mathematics\statistics.
EMPLOYMENT WITH DAWSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE:
Employees at Dawson Community College are required to demonstrate kindness, respect, integrity, professionalism, and caring regard. We adhere to the highest ethical standards in the fulfillment of our jobs, to honor the College and university policies and procedures and to promote the educational objectives of the institution. Respect creates an atmosphere conducive to learning. Respect, in this sense, is a minimum threshold for our interactions with each other. A higher threshold is a “caring regard” for the people with whom we work.
Professionalism at DCC includes being mindful of our actions when working with students, colleagues, co-workers and our community members. Respect and “caring regard” for those with whom we share the common purpose of serving students is a paramount value. Professionalism and respect for others is an expected part of DCC job performance.
Employees at Dawson Community College support and promote a positive image of Dawson Community College.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide instruction for courses at a variety of times.
- Ability to teach various courses including physics, calculus, mathematics, etc.
- Demonstrate a commitment to student engagement, student success, and instructional excellence.
- Maintain access to students through posted office hours and electronic communication.
- Participate in student recruitment and community outreach efforts.
- Advise students in course selection(s) and graduation requirements.
- Maintain current knowledge of effective teaching methodologies and utilize a variety of instructional delivery methods, classroom media, and educational resources.
- Review program curriculum and develop/adjust educational courses based upon need and use the Institutional Effectiveness System for appropriate approvals.
- Prepare and utilize a course syllabus and assessments for each course using guidelines established by the institution and revise program goals/outcomes on an as needed basis.
- Collect and analyze program data; enrollment, graduation rates, employment, etc. for the purpose of program review.
- Develop and update articulation agreements.
- Recommend and coordinate provisions for textbooks and course/lab materials.
- Receive semester course evaluations for each course.
- Participate in regular professional development to improve teaching methods, remain current in educational trends, maintain contacts in the field, etc.
- Supervise and facilitate internship experiences, student observations and encourage overall student professional development opportunities.
- Work with high schools to offer concurrent and/or dual enrollment courses.
- Work with Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs to provide input into budget process, assure adequate resources are available and recommend needed equipment and supplies for program.
- Represent the College and Department in the community and during campus events, and serve on appropriate committees.
- Demonstrate a positive and professional relationship with students, colleagues, alumni, administration, and the community.
- Ensure congruence of program policies and procedures with those of Dawson Community College.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory bodies including but not limited to Board of Trustees, Board of Regents and Northwest Accreditation.
- Perform other related duties as the Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs may assign for the good of the College.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the employee.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Master’s Degree in Physics, Mathematics or Statistics (supplemented with 9 graduate credits in Physics, Statistics or Mathematics; please call HR with questions on this requirement). All coursework must be from an accredited college or university.
- Communicate effectively and build strong relationships with local high schools, industry, and community organizations.
- Work independently, while also communicating with internal and external partners.
- Teaching Experience (either at the college or secondary level).
- Doctorate Degree
- Online teaching experience.
COMPLETED APPLICATION PACKET MUST INCLUDE:
- Completed Dawson Community College application
- Current resume
- Cover Letter
- Copies of college transcripts (original transcripts required, if hired)Three professional references (names, email addresses, and phone numbers).