TITLE: Maintenance Engineer
DIVISION: Facilities and Grounds Maintenance
STATUS: Full Time, Classified, Hourly
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Director of Physical Plant
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Student employees and work study students
Grade Level 13 – $17.73 per hour
JOB SUMMARY: Performs skilled maintenance work repairing and maintaining buildings, grounds, and related facilities which include the main building, the Toepke Center, the Ullman Center, three dormitories and all grounds.
EMPLOYMENT WITH DAWSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE:
Employees at Dawson Community College are required to demonstrate kindness, respect, integrity, professionalism, and caring regard. We adhere to the highest ethical standards in the fulfillment of our jobs, to honor the College and university policies and procedures and to promote the educational objectives of the institution. Respect creates an atmosphere conducive to learning. Respect, in this sense, is a minimum threshold for our interactions with each other. A higher threshold is a “caring regard” for the people with whom we work.
Professionalism at DCC includes being mindful of our actions when working with students, colleagues, co-workers and our community members. Respect and “caring regard” for those with whom we share the common purpose of serving students is a paramount value. Professionalism and respect for others is an expected part of DCC job performance.
Employees at Dawson Community College support and promote a positive image of Dawson Community College.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
Nature of Work: This position performs skilled maintenance work requiring attention to repair and safety of buildings and grounds. Position works outdoors and indoors; may work outdoors in adverse weather conditions. Follows safety procedures in dealing with equipment, gas, electricity, chemicals, heavy lifting and work from heights. Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information.
Personal Contacts: Frequent, yet limited, contact with students, staff and community.
Supervision Received: Daily contact with other maintenance/custodial employees, contractors, salesmen, students, faculty, and staff.
Supervision Exercised: Assists with supervision of summer and part-time workers; also typically three custodians, two work study and part-time summer helpers in absence of the Physical Plant Director and Head Custodian.
Essential Functions: Position requires physical ability to: do electrical work, do plumbing, maintain boilers, repair interior and exterior structures, paint, drywall, move furniture, do lawn maintenance, patch and repair streets and sidewalks, operate and maintain lawn and shop equipment. Position requires visual acuity to inspect designated areas, record keeping skills and ability to communicate.
AREAS OF JOB ACCOUNTABILITY AND PERFORMANCE:
- Scrapes, caulks, sands, paints walls and wood work.
- Hangs, tapes, sands, finishes and repairs sheetrock walls.
- Prepares sub-floors for new coverings.
- Replaces tires, fuel pumps, water pumps, power steering units, batteries, alternators, generators, lights, wires, and fuses in equipment.
Performs skilled maintenance work in plumbing, electrical and HVAC tasks in repairing and maintaining the utilities for the buildings and grounds.
- Checks for leaks, cracks, broken urinals, commodes, sinks; replaces or repairs as needed.
- Repair, flush and clean drain lines, pipe insulation, and seal wrapped pipe joints.
- Inspects, repairs outlets, light ballast, photo-eyes, heating elements, breaker switches, electric motors, fans, elements, and breaker switches.
- Inspects, lubricates, cleans, and maintains unit heat ventilators.
- Monitors and repairs various parts of computer assisted boilers; checks oil, belts, tank pressure, drain condensation, and drive motor.
Performs semi-skilled and skilled grounds care and landscaping tasks.
- Mows, edges, irrigates, fertilizes lawn, plants, shrubs and trees.
- Uses hand tools and applies herbicides and pesticides to trees, shrubs, and lawn.
- Removes snow and ice from walkways, streets and parking areas.
- Repairs sidewalks, roads, and parking areas: replaces asphalt, applies concrete and paints stripes.
Performs semi-skilled work in performing custodial tasks.
- Scrubs, mops, shampoos, extracts, vacuums and sweeps carpeted areas, tile floors and ceramic tile floors.
- Mixes and applies cleaners and chemicals to appropriate surfaces.
- Checks all incoming parcels, mail and supplies; distributes and records transactions.
Performs other related duties as required.
Knowledge: This position requires knowledge of standardized rules, regulations, and procedures, and the ability to apply them in working with low pressure boiler plants, commercial heating and ventilation systems, and electrical and plumbing systems. Knowledge of preparing drywall, painting, concrete, and asphalt.
Skills: This position requires skills in use of knowledge, equipment, and tools to effectively perform repair and maintenance of heating, electrical and plumbing systems. Skills in carpentry, dry-walling, painting, and grounds maintenance.
Abilities: This position requires the ability to: be task oriented; prioritize work; work in adverse weather conditions; maintain confidentiality of sensitive information; follow safety procedures; communicate effectively orally and in writing; follow verbal and written instructions; establish effective working relationships with fellow employees, supervisors, and the public. Physical duties require ability to drive a vehicle; operate power equipment including mowers, buffers, floor polisher, band saw, drill press, trucks and tractors; operate hand tools; lift 50 pounds; climb ladders; and repair equipment.
DCC values professionalism in its employees. The following attributes and behaviors are identified as examples of what is expected of an employee:
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal effectively with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Adheres to and maintains strict confidentiality with all fiscal, human and labor relation information.
- Attendance – Is consistently at work and on time.
- Business Acumen – Understands basic business practices.
- Change Management – Communicates changes effectively.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Cost Consciousness – Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Meets commitments.
- Delegation – Delegates work assignments; Matches the responsibility to the person; Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments.
- Initiative – Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent action.
- Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Managing People – Includes staff planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Makes self-available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth; Improves processes, product and services.
- Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization’s goals and values.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Quantity – Meets productivity Standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works effectively.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Inclusion – Provides an environment that is inclusive of all students and supports underrepresented students.
- Assessment – Assesses annual performance and works closely with the enrollment management team.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the employee.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Dawson Community College is an equal opportunity provider.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The above knowledge, skills, and abilities are typically acquired through a combination of education and experience equivalent to:
- High School diploma.
- Job related vocational training.
- At least two years related experience.
- Must possess boiler operator’s license or be able to obtain licensure within 6 months.
- Must possess a valid, Montana driver’s license.
COMPLETED APPLICATION PACKET MUST INCLUDE:
- Completed Dawson Community College application
- Current resume
- Cover Letter
- Copies of college transcripts (original transcripts required, if hired)
- Three professional references (names, email addresses, and phone numbers).
INQUIRIES MAY BE DIRECTED TO:
Human Resources Department