POSITION TITLE: Head Coach (0.5 appointment) – Rodeo
DIVISION: Student Affairs
DEPARTMENT: Intercollegiate Athletics
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Athletic Director
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Assistant and Part time Coaches, student employees
SUMMARY OF WORK: The Rodeo Coach is responsible for all aspects of their assigned sport including but not limited to budget management, recruiting, eligibility, compliance, NIRA documentation, public relations, scheduling, travel, awarding of scholarships, roster management, managing assistant coaches, organization of practices and all home games, camps, fundraising, coaching, player development, and other duties assigned by the Athletic Director. The college expects head coaches to promote and develop leadership, citizenship, academic excellence, athletic competitiveness, and community engagement.
The head coach is instrumental in recruiting and retaining prospective student athletes to create a competitive team comprising student-athletes who develop into effective players, leaders, citizens, and scholars. The recruitment process entails research of high school and transfer prospects, travel to events to observe and evaluate athletes’ potential and talent, interaction with high school coaches and prospective students’ parents and family members, coordinating and conducting campus visits, and executing letters of intent. The work also requires the ability to plan and execute a practice regimen that develops player and team skills, engages student-athletes in an appropriate strength and conditioning program, and balances commitment to the team with academic and civic commitments.
The head coach interacts with a wide variety of people in a professional and enthusiastic manner such as students, student-athletes, and fellow employees. The head coach interacts frequently with program volunteers, representatives of the Dawson College Foundation, members of the press, parents and prospective students, fans and the public.
EMPLOYMENT WITH DAWSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE:
Employees at Dawson Community College are required to demonstrate kindness, respect, integrity, professionalism, and caring regard. We adhere to the highest ethical standards in the fulfillment of our jobs, to honor the College and university policies and procedures and to promote the educational objectives of the institution. Respect creates an atmosphere conducive to learning. Respect, in this sense, is a minimum threshold for our interactions with each other. A higher threshold is a “caring regard” for the people with whom we work.
Professionalism at DCC includes being mindful of our actions when working with students, colleagues, co-workers and our community members. Respect and “caring regard” for those with whom we share the common purpose of serving students is a paramount value. Professionalism and respect for others is an expected part of DCC job performance.
Summary of Duties
- Maintain a high degree of professionalism and confidentiality as this position represents Dawson Community College in a variety of venues. Must adhere to all Federal and state laws and institutional policies regarding confidentiality of student records (FERPA).
- Perform all coaching duties and maintain minimum roster numbers necessary to maintain a competitive intercollegiate athletic team.
- Coordinate with Enrollment Management to learn about our College and Programs for recruitment purposes.
- Coordinate with Deans of Student Success and Academics to ensure academic and student success.
- Effectively motivate, teach, develop, and supervise students from diverse backgrounds and with various levels of maturity by developing and maintaining professional and appropriate relationships with student-athletes and students involved with the team.
- Recommend team’s annual budget and manage the funds allocated to the assigned team, including tuition waivers and scholarships.
- Recruit and supervise assistant coaches and volunteers.
- Oversee college and rented facilities and help ensure they are well maintained and safe for practice and competition.
- Appropriately represent the college during competition, team travel, recruitment, and when interacting with the press and the public.
- Attend department and college meetings, commencements, visit days, orientations, and other events.
- Contribute to the overall operation of the Intercollegiate Athletics department by working collaboratively with fellow coaches and college administrators.
- Contribute content to ensure the Intercollegiate Athletic department website is current and informative.
- Work with the Sports Information Director to upload statistics to NJCAA/NIRA website for home games and to coordinate statistics and proper reporting for away games as well as coordinate local and national media.
- Coordinate and/or take photographs for department and college use.
- Nominate players and teams for sport, conference, and regional awards, polls, honors and special recognition.
- Assist with the development of team media guides.
- Participate in the enhancement of game-day atmosphere through music, event marketing, special appearances, and promotions.
- Assist with game film production and exchange.
- Maintain list of individual and team performance records.
- Schedule and maintain office hours as required.
- Conduct oneself with the highest integrity in all dealings and represent the college in a positive manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
JOB PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
DCC values professionalism in its employees. The following attributes and behaviors are identified as examples of what is expected of an employee:
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal effectively with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance – Is consistently at work and on time.
- Business Acumen – Understands basic business practices and reporting hierarchy.
- Change Management – Communicates changes effectively.
- Oral Communication – Speaks persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication – Writes informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Cost Consciousness – Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Meets commitments.
- Delegation – Delegates work assignments; Matches the responsibility to the person; Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments.
- Initiative – Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent action.
- Judgment – Displays willingness to decide; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Managing People – Includes staff planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Makes self-available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth; Improves processes, product and services.
- Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization’s goals and values.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems promptly; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments. Dresses appropriately for workplace with frequent customer service interactions. Supports and promotes a positive image of Dawson Community College.
- Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Quantity – Meets productivity Standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works effectively.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Inclusion – Provides an environment inclusive of all students, colleagues, co-workers and community members and supports underrepresented stakeholders.
- Assessment – Assesses annual performance and works closely with Supervisor.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the employee.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Dawson Community College is an equal opportunity provider.
- Earned Bachelor’s degree and 3 years of coaching/recruitment experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent team leadership and management skills, including ability to motivate, build consensus, evaluate performance, and facilitate training and professional development.
- Maintain sensitivity, understanding, and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Demonstrated high quality oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to travel and work evening and weekends, as necessary.
- Must have valid Montana driver’s license.
- Master’s Degree
COMPLETED APPLICATION PACKET MUST INCLUDE:
- Completed Dawson Community College application
- Current resume
- Cover Letter
- Copies of college transcripts (original transcripts required, if hired)
- Three professional references (names, email addresses, and phone numbers).
INQUIRIES MAY BE DIRECTED TO:
Human Resources Department